Pearl was born on August 26, 1898 in Sheet Harbour to Alice (Hall) and John Rutledge. In her early years before she married she taught school in the community of Moosehead. She married William (Bill) Alexander Lowe on December 23, 1919 in the Spry Bay Anglican Church.
Pearl was very much involved in community activities. She was organist in the Anglican Church in Watt Section for over 50 years. She gave piano lessons to many children over the years. She held the office of treasurer and secretary for the Anglican Church for many years. She also worked for the Red Cross raising money for The Hospital Auxiliary and The Nursing Home. She would sew, knit and crochet for the church picnics. She also did the cooking in the lumber camps for the men, and some winters she stayed in all winter with her children when they were young.
She was a long time member of The True Blue Lodge, a women's group who did a lot of unnoticed community work. During the war a priest from Halifax called the priest in Sheet Harbour requesting homes for some British Sailors. A British ship had come in and they wanted to give the men a bit of a break while the ship was in port, and give them some home life. She also worked helping raising donations for the Home for Children, an orphanage, in Truro.
Pearl worked for her family, the lumber business, her church and her community all of her life. I believe that these women who worked in the shadows of others deserve to be remembered and recognized for their contribution to their communities. Grandmother Pearl Hall Lowe as an unsung hero, and a woman who helped build the community of Sheet Harbour.
Written by Sue Henry.
Submitted by Lea Place
Margot attended the University of Montreal where she learned weaving techniques and graduated in 1943. She also began knitting, rug hooking, and creating ceramics. She worked as an instructor in weaving for the Handicraft Section of the Department of Continuing Education in Nova Scotia. She was also the Director of Volunteer Services for the city of Halifax.
In 1935 Howard was one of the first volunteer firemen to form the Sheet Harbour Fire Department and remained a member until 1970.
Also in 1935 he was one of the first members of the Sheet Harbour Board of Trade and a past chair. He remained active until the 1980's.
Howard was a lifelong member of the Knights of Columbus; a lifelong member of the Sheet Harbour Lions Club; past chair and volunteer with the Sheet Harbour and area Red Cross Society; and a lifelong member of St. Peters Catholic Church and he received the Archbishops medal for his service to the church. He was also a member and past chairs of the Eastern Shore Memorial Hospital board;
A member and past chair of the the Duncan MacMillan Nursing Home board; a member and past chair of the Duncan MacMillan High School Advisory council; and a member of the Sheet Harbour Boy Scout Group Committee.
Howard was a local historian who in 1988 wrote and published the book "Sheet Harbour History, from the notes of an old woodsman".
Written by Michael Coady
Helen Lula Phylis Pinfield
Helen was born on Snow's Island, Harrigan Cove 16th February 1927.
Helen moved away at a young age to Windsor, Ontario. She worked at Elwood casino as a waitress
and served such greats as Uberace, Dean Martin and John Wayne. Helen moved back home to Sheet
Harbour, where she enjoyed the things she loved most. She was an avid fisherwoman, and loved nothing
better than spending time along the river banks of Sheet Harbour.
Helen owned and operated the old restruant - pool hall in Sheet Harbour. She served some of the
best food in the town. Helen enjoyed cooking and baking and gave away more than what she kept.
Helen also volunteered her time greatly to the area and never looked for anything in return. Helen was a
member of the RCL Sr. #58 Legion, Sheet Harbour and called it her branch. Helen started what the Legion calls muffin morning on Wednesday's where members and the public could come in and enjoy her cooking and conversation. On every new years levee the Legion serves what we call Helen's famous moose milk.
Helen was a member of the New Horizons for Seniors Sheet Harbour, where again she baked and
cooked for her members. Helen donated a lot of time to the seniors group over the years and when they
moved to the Legion she donated a stove and fridge for the kitchen. [We call it Helen kitchen.]
Helen every week would bake cookies or muffins and deliver them to the RCMP station in Sheet
Harbour something she did out of the kindness of her heart. Helen donated a lot to all of Sheet Harbour
and was a great friend to have at your side.
Duncan St. Clair Crowell
Duncan was born and raised in Malay Falls. During his teen years Duncan was employed in the pulp wood camps and was a hunting guide, escorting hopeful hunters through the woods in Malay Falls. He moved to Dartmouth in the 1950's and was employed with NS Power reading meters; Jacobson Clothing Store in charge of collections; and weekends and nights at Dartmouth Funeral Home. During his stay in Dartmouth he organized the first chapter of Big Brothers in Dartmouth and was the Founder and President of this organization from 1968-1969.
He returned to Sheet Harbour with his family in 1970 at which time he purchased the Funeral Home and Ambulance Service. In 1974 he obtained his Funeral Director and Embalmer license. He owned and operated DS Crowell & Son Funeral Home from 1970 until his death in 2011. He owned and operated Crowell's Ambulance Service from 1970-1997. Duncan provided employment for many during those years. Employees throughout the years were local men and women and many of them continue to be employed with EHS to date. Duncan was very hands on in his company, transporting thousands of people to hospital and by providing excellent care and support to all. He taught Standard and Emergency First Aid along the Eastern Shore for many years.
Duncan was a member of the Sheet Harbour Board of Trade from 1975-2011 holding the position of
President from 1975-1980. He was a Master Mason in the Masonic Lodge, a member of the Sheet
Harbour Lions Club; an Elder in St. James United Church, Lochaber Mines; past member of the Eastern Shore Memorial Hospital, and Duncan MacMillan Nursing Home Board. He was instrumental in the organization and building of the Sheet Harbour Pool, Beaver Canoe Club and Playland Park.
Douglas St. Clair Murphy
Doug was born, raised and lived his 90 years in Sheet Harbour.
In 1944 Dad enlisted in the RCAF and on June 12, 1944 Cpl Douglas S Murphy left from South Hampton,
England. He was in a squadron of Spitfires the Red Indian (421)
Squadron. He was very proud of his country and community.
Upon his return to Sheet Harbour his commitment to others continued. He established Murphy's Taxi as owner/operator. He provided transportation to the citizens of the Eastern Shore.
In 1957 he was given the
opportunity to work with Canada Post and was Post Master for the Sheet Harbour area until his
retirement in 1985. Doug was a member of the Sheet Harbour Board of Trade from 1959-1978, acting as Secretary-Treasurer
from 1961-January 1969. He was a lifelong member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 58 and was President from 1965-66. Lifelong member of St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Sheet Harbour. He was a Cub Leader with Scouts Canada. He was involved in the organization of the Olympic Torch Relay in Sheet Harbour in 1987.
Dad loved baseball. He played as a young man and in 1957, along with Murray Cottell, he
organized the Sheet Harbour Little League. This was Dad's passion.
He taught these boys the art of the game, to be respectful to their sport and to others- on and off the field. He coached many young men in our community and to date many of these men will speak of Dad's contribution to their life. He continued his passion as an umpire in the current co-ed league until the age of 85. When he could no longer stand that long. He attended the games until his end which was a true
dedication to community and the importance of volunteers.
Submitted by the Eureka Lodge/Masons
David Fraser – 1828-1878
David Fraser’s grandfather Alexander moved to Nova Scotia from Lochaber, Scotland in 1735. He landed in Pictou and received a Soldier's Grant of 200 acres (Lot 58) from the Royal Garrison and moved to Sheet Harbour. He married Sarah Currie. David, Alexander’s grandson was born in 1828 in Sheet Harbour to the son of John & Mary (Lowe). He attended school at East Settlement, Sheet Harbour, in 1839.
David was a Master Mariner and shipwright. In 1873 he built the Schooner "Peerless". David had seven children and passed away sometime after 1878. He was the first Master of the Eureka Masonic Lodge.
Courtesy of the Sheet Harbour Heritage
Photo Courtesy of Eureka Lodge
Anthony George (Bobby) Farris
Bobby was president and general manager of Farris Trucking Ltd., since 1960. He was a member and elder of St. James United Church, and a member of St. James Men’s Club, Eureka Masonic Lodge #42, the Sheet Harbour Lions Club and the Sheet Harbour Volunteer Fire Department. (“He was always providing free equipment for whatever was needed.” – Interview with Anthony)
It was never beyond Dad to buy strangers’ meals or train tickets.
Dad use to pick up kids and their parents and take them to the beach or Salmon Hole for a picnic. Dad would see cyclists travelling through, and on rainy days, he would bring them up to the house, feed them and give them dry clothes. Dad would buy a 50 lb. bag of corn for a corn boil. Then he would go to pick up kids and people off the street to come.”
“He taught us how to drive snowmobiles at a young age. I remember walking back in the woods…….. I remember going on the trucks, too, for a “work day”. He liked to surprise Mom with gifts (BIG GIFTS) for special occasions, like Christmas. He took us all to MT&T, to “give the bills to Mary Faulkner.” I used to drive the car back and forth to the garage. (And I almost backed into another car- and that’s how I learned to use the mirrors.”) (Penny Farris)
Another story was told by a member of the community that Bobby and Dolores provided for a single mother when she in need.
Albert Noel Howe
Submitted by Millbrook Mi’Kmaq Band
Albert Noel Howe: 1897 – 1973
Albert was born on June 18, 1897 and was the son of Joseph Howe and Jane Hammond. He grew up in Shubenacadie-Indian Brook. Albert never attended public school, and would often tell the story of going to school for one day and never to return.
On January 6, 1918 at the age of 18 he married Mary Elizabeth Paul aged 15. They moved to Elmsdale to start a family. On September 22, 1930 they moved from Elmsdale with their three children by horse and buggy to Sheet Harbour in fear that their children would be taken from them and placed in Residential School. Once in Sheet Harbour they settled in a new home on the reserve located on Church Point Road. Albert and Mary had 14 children, 4 boys and 10 girls.
It was suggested from community leaders at the time that they not speak their native language so they could “fit in”. They did as was suggested and therefore their children were never given the opportunity to learn their native language. They were the first registered Mi’kmaq to occupy the Church Point Road Reserve. On December 24, 1955 a new 2 story home replaced the old house, the home is still there and occupied by one of their many grandchildren.
Albert had worked at the pulp mill in Sheet Harbour until he became ill and could no longer work. He enjoyed hunting and fishing, telling stories of when he was young and often had a joke to tell.
Albert passed on Sept 18, 1973 at the age of 76.
Told by son James Howe and transcribed by granddaughter Dawn Howe Power.
Abel Frank Hayden
Submitted by Four Harbour'S Branch #120, The Royal Canadian Legion.
HAYDEN, Abel Frank 1902 – 1962 WWI &WWII
Abel was born in Annapolis County, Nova Scotia in 1902. He served the Royal
Canadian Army in WWI and the Royal Canadian Navy during WWII. He also
served Convoy Duty in Halifax. He was torpedoed twice, and was Chief Stoker
aboard H.M.C.S. Champlain. Abel was awarded the following medals and
decorations: 1939-1945 Star Medal, King George, Atlantic Star, 1939, Defense
Medal 1945, Volunteer Medal, King George VI, and the Long Service Medal. He
was the first President of Four Harbour's Branch #120. Abel passed away in 1962.
Annie Eliza MacDonald
Annie Elizabeth MacDonald was born on July 23, 1890 in Sheet Harbour, NS. Her employment history
included a position in the banking industry, teaching in Bermuda and then returning home in
1920 to work for a time at the Sheet Harbour Lumber Company. She followed in her father's
footsteps by selling insurance. This was the beginning of a 50 year career. Annie Eliza, as she was affectionately known, and Dr. Duncan MacMillan played a major
role in ensuring the Eastern Shore Memorial Hospital became a reality. Rumour has it that she
and Dr. MacMillan visited the local bank and personally signed a loan to secure the funds to
move the project along. Annie E. MacDonald then served as secretary of the Hospital Board for
26 years and secretary of the Sheet Harbour Consolidated School for 23 years. She was a member
of the Halifax County Library Board and was instrumental in having a Library established in Sheet
Annie's personal generosity is legendary. At Christmastime her nephew, Bill Henley,
remembered being asked to help her on her annual "Christmas Run". His chore was to drive her
car and was amazed at the load of turkeys, geese, ducks and vegetables she delivered to her
friends and customers all along the Eastern Shore. She and her secretary, Myrna McLellan,
would bake 30 or 40 Christmas cakes for the Christmas Run.
In 1933, Miss MacDonald organized a women's political organization that consisted of
350 members. The goal was to secure the election of her cousin, Angus L. MacDonald, as
Premier of Nova Scotia.
Miss Annie E. MacDonald is a legend along the Eastern Shore. Her name being spoken still
brings forth stories of her fierce loyalty to her insurance clients and her generosity to her
community as a whole.
Dennis Wayne Sharpe
Submitted by the Moser River Historical Society
Dennis Wayne Sharpe May 8, 1940 -
Born May 8, 1940 in Antigonish to Beulah (Moser) and Lewis Sharpe. Dennis got his early education in Moser River taking Grade 12 with another student at the former IOOF Hall with Marie Miller as their teacher.
Upon completing Grade 12, he went to Halifax to obtain work. He worked at Imperial Oil Ltd for six months and then found employment with the Federal Government at HMC Dockyard in Halifax. He worked at the Dockyard for 35 years retiring in 1995.
Upon retiring he moved back to Moser River where he became involved with community organizations. He was the President of Moser River and Area Historical Society, Secretary of the Moser River Board of Trade, a member of the Moser River Community Centre where he organized the parade for Moser River Days. He was a member of the Riverside Cemetery Committee and a member and Trustee for the former St. Andrews United Church. He was Secretary/Treasurer for the Moser River CAP site which operated from the back room of the Post Office for 10 years and in later years from the McMann House. He was also involved in the Wednesday night Music Night at the community Hall.