↑ Return to Community Banners

Print this Page

Community History

Banner Communities – DMHS Grade 9 B Art Class

Community Notes

East Ship Harbour                            Sadie Cunningham

Tangier                                               Jacob Boutilier

Mooseland                                         Reubin Palm

Pope’s Harbour                                 Sadie Cunningham

Spry Harbour                                       Janine Hawes

Spry Bay                                             Courtney Cameron

Mushaboom                                       Janay Power

Sheet Harbour                                   Daniel Kenny

Marinette                                           Leah McBain

Beaver Dam                                       Jamie Dorey

Malay Falls                                         Chelsea Josey

Lochaber Mines                                Shona MacDonald

Watt Section                                      Brooklyn Connors

Sheet Harbour Passage                    Kaleigh Stevens

Sober Island                                      Lindsay Levy

Port Dufferin                                       Nick Harris

Dufferin Mines                                  Hillary Ackert

Barkhouse Settlement                      Hillary Ackert

Quoddy                                               Shannon Stevens

Harrigan Cove                                   Kelsey Levy

Moosehead                                        Daniel Rutledge

Moser River                                       Morgan Cameron

Mitchell Bay                                       Mitchel Jewers

Ecum Secum                                     Chloe Beaver

 

Ecum Secum

  • Agwasagunk or Megwasaagunk– Mi’kmaq for “red house”
  • The largest sailing ship east of Sheet Harbour was built here in 1873 it was named the Peerless
  • Gold mine opened in 1862 and ran on and off until 1907

 

Necum Teuch

  • Noogoomkeak – Mi’kmaq for “soft sand”
  • Scarecrow
  • Fishing and sheep farming were and still are the industries, one sheep place left
  • After they built the church they used it to build boats in in the winter

 

Moser River

  • when planting the rule was one fish, one corn, one fish, one corn etc.
  • Named after the Moser family from Holland and Luxemburg
  • 1871 Brownell’s Lumber Co. was established, one of 3 that were there at the same time, there was a dam
  • 1830’s-1880’s shipbuilding, lumber and pulpwood were important                      industries
  • late 1800’s Neil Oickle was a well know blacksmith and also John Holman, people came from far to have their horses and oxen shoed
  • Ancient Order of Forresters had a court in Moser River
  • There was a ferry from Moser River to Necum Teuch

 

Moosehead

  • It was named as early as 1796
  • 1873 there was gold mining on and off, one mine was destroyed by fire twice. In 1910 a mine was worked again until 1914-15
  •   Moosehead Moss was a unique type of seaweed that was in high

demand  so whenever it came in ,night or day, people would come to the shore to collect it

 

Harrigan Cove

  • 1868 there was a gold mine, it closed in 1903-4 open again 1914-15. 4 mining companies employed 138 men
  • 1875 lobster packing factory
  • there was a house brought over from Cross’ Island in the winter on skids

Quoddy

  • 1970 total eclipse of the sun, 4 rockets were launched up 100 miles for scientific experiments
  • Noodakwade – Mi’kmaq for “the seal hunting place”

 

Barkhouse Settlement

5 houses and 9 people still living there

  • farming with pigs, cows and sheep
  • German Settlers were given the land for farming
  • Lila remembers being chased up the road by moose and a bear when she was a kid in the 70’s

 

Dufferin Mines

  • 1897 a mine was established and 175 men were employed
  • a road went from Dufferin Mines to Lewiston
  • 1935-7 Consolidated Mining Co drilled for diamonds

 

Port Dufferin

  • Puloamova Seloo – Mi’kmaq for “salmon river”
  • Named after the Marquis of Dufferin, the Governor General of Canada 1872-78
  • Busy shipping and wharf in the 1800’s and into the early 1900’s
  • Judy Smiley’s house was mover from the top of the hill to where it sits now by the water
  • 1883 there was a lobster factory
  • there was a radar station on Beech Hill from 1944-5 and the Hindenburg airship flew over a few times

 

Beaver Harbour

  • Kobetawemoode meaning “beaver harbour” in Mi’kmaq there is a myth that Gloosecap threw one of the large rocks at a beaver
  • The French named it “Havre du Caster” meaning beaver harbour
  • 1846 a lighthouse was erected it was 35 feet high with a lantern on the roof, it is gone now
  • there is a lighthouse still standing on an island in Beaver Harbour
  • 1974 a cable station was built and a cable connects Beaver Harbour to Cornwall, England
  • There is a wind turbine there now
  • 1826 the first ship was built named the Regatta
  • there was farming in Beaver Harbour as well as a school and a church which was demolished in 1973
  • At the government wharf the O.K. Service ship would pick up the lobsters.

 

Sober Island

  • used to have a lobster factory, a fish processing factory, ship chandler’s store and a herring plant by Oliver Levy’s house that produced 1100 barrels in one summer
  • In the summer the when there were farms on the island the animals (oxen, cows, horses)would be taken out to the smaller island to feed on the grass
  • There is a cave in one of the high cliffs on Factory Point that was rumored to be used as a hide out

 

Sheet Harbour Passage

  • the first hydroponics operation in Canada was built here in the early 1970’s

 

Watt Section

  • early 1800’s shipbuilding was developing and peaked in 1860 and finished by 1920. One ship, built by the Rutledges, the “Janet B” running from Halifax to Boston held the speed record for large schooners.  The lumber for the ship came from Lewiston
  • Is the landing place for the first European inhabitants of the area, the Mi’kmaq already had a village there

 

Malay Falls

In the 1070’s had a canoe club and held a National whitewater Kayaking event

  • Is part of the hydro electric power system that ends in Ruth Falls, the dam was built in 1922-23 and fishways were built although the salmon did not return.
  • Settled by the Malay family

 

Lochaber Mines

  • Lewiston peg factory was close by and it produced clothes pegs, shoe pegs and wooden bottle caps
  • 1825 a sawmill was built
  • one of the oldest gold districts in NS, the mines ran from 1867 to the early 1900’s

 

Sheet Harbour

  • West River salmon are reemerging due to liming the water to make it more alkaline
  • Hydro Dam in Ruth Falls built in 1922-3 supplied power to Sheet Harbour and area, Pictou County, Truro, north Colchester County, Musquodoboit and Stewiak Valleys, Kemptown and the Eastern Shore (Porter’s Lake to Fisherman’s Harbour)
  • Weijooik – Mi’kmaq name meaning “flowing wildly” or “running crazily”
  • First sulphite pulp mill in North America, 1885-86. It closed in 1971 when Hurricane Beth destroyed the mill
  • 1818 population was 156
  • Sheet Harbour was identified by sea by a large white rock at the mouth of the harbour that resembled a sheet hanging on the line
  • 1784 Freemasonry of Nova Scotia branch in Sheet Harbour, then known as Campbell Town

 

 

Marinette

  • Marinette Fire Tower erected in 1923

 

Beaver Dam

  • In the 1950’s Reverent Sprott used to stop at a spring on his Port Dufferin to Liverpool trips to drink the water and have his lunch the spot became well used by others because of the Reverend

 

Mushaboom

  • Mossaboom-Elagwaak – Mi’kmaq for “a pile of hair” the myth is that there were fairies that played a game of ball and they raced and ran around and seized each other by the hair, locks were pulled out and scattered on the ground
  • Anglican church built in 1911 with the roof built in the design of a ship’s hull in order to withstand the severe weather

Spry Bay

  • Sebimkooak – Mi’kmaq for “a bog extending across”
  • 1818 – settled by Dutch on the north channel, called Dutchtown
  • Name may have come from a mariner named Spry
  • Ship building in the 1850’s
  • Lobster canning factory
  • Phone company called Spry Bay Mutual had 3 phone lines for Spry Bay
  • Taylor Head Provincial Park

 

Spry Harbour

  • Billy Bilong Ball Field – Men’s (all ages) Fastball leagues played here,
  • Spry -Harbour Atoms Mens’ Team played provincially , 1960’s and 1970’s

 

Mooseland

  • name derived from an abundance of moose
  • gold in September 1858 while moose hunting
  • 1875 – 80 Icelanders settled there had a hard time of it and went west in 1883

 

Pope’s Harbour

  • Kwemoodech – Mi’kmaq for “little lone place “ or Sigunokigumak meaning “small Harbour
  • Name likely came from white rock at a point of land out in the harbour that looks like a Pope’s hat
  • Gerrard’s Island had 9 families (30 people) living there in 1922 and had a road form one end to the other and a car

 

Tangier

  • Waspegeak – Mi’kmaq for “the sunshine is reflected from the water)
  • Name may have come from Tangier, Morocco, or from a ship wrecked with the same name, or from early settlers from Virginia who named it after an island
  • Gold on April 1, 1860 by May 20th there were 2000 men in Tangier, mines closed in the 1930’s
  • Prince Alfred visited in July 1861, the arch was erected in 2000
  • 1871, 1st lobster processing plant east of Halifax
  • 1938 Abriel’s Fisheries established

 

Pleasant Harbour

  • Lobster Pound has been around for 50 years

 

 

Permanent link to this article: http://sheetharbour.ca/community-banners/community-history/